Choose a FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) category, or scroll through the entire list, below:
Where does the BeHear headset appear in the Bluetooth device’s pairing screen?
Depending on the application, BeHear may appear either as a headset or as a headphone, just like most other Bluetooth headphones.
For most music players it will be listed as a “headphone” while for messaging services, such as Skype/Viber/WeChat etc., it will be listed as a “headset”.
My earbuds are uncomfortable.
Wind noise is annoying.
Ambient noise bothers my music enjoyment.
Phone calls are not being routed to my headset.
The Bluetooth connection keeps cutting out.
- Verify that you are not more than 10 meters (approx. 30 feet) away from the device.
- If you are using BeHear NOW outdoors, we recommend that you carry your phone on the right side of your body. When indoors, the Bluetooth radio waves can bounce off walls and it doesn’t matter on which side the phone is located. Outdoors the phone needs a direct line of sight with the antenna, which is on the right side of the neck-band.
Personal hearing is interrupted by smartphone notifications.
- When connected to a phone, the phone notifications take precedence over hearing amplifications. This is so that you don’t miss any important phone calls. Therefore, we recommend changing the phone settings to turn off key tones such as touch sounds, keyboard taps, and some notifications according to your preferences. Phone calls will still take precedence, but this will greatly reduce the number of times the hearing is “interrupted”.
- Settings for phone notifications behavior is usually accessed through the smartphone’s “Settings” menu, in a section called “Sounds and Notifications”.
How do I know my headset is up-to-date?
- Updates are sent automatically to the W&H BeHear app. You can verify the availability of an update by checking the “Headset Update” screen through the app’s main menu.
- If there is a new version available, follow the on-screen instructions to update the headset.
My headset is behaving erratically.
If your BeHear NOW behaves unexpectedly there are three ways to reset it: you can restart it, remove the Bluetooth connection data, and/or restore the original factory configuration.
- To restart BeHear in a simple reset, connect it to the charger. All configuration and connection data will be preserved.
- To restart BeHear and remove the Bluetooth connection data only:
- Power on the BeHear NOW headset.
- Press and hold the Power button + the middle and bottom buttons on the right control box simultaneously for approximately 8 seconds, until a purple L.E.D. blinks once.
- Power off the headset and then power it on again.
- To restart the BeHear NOW headset and restore the original factory configuration:
- Power on the BeHear NOW headset.
- Press and hold the Power button + the middle and top buttons on the right control box simultaneously for approximately 8 seconds, until a yellow L.E.D. blinks once.
- Connect the headset to the charger.
- Disconnect the headset from the charger and then power the headset on.
What comes in the BeHear NOW box?
The box includes a headset, a USB charging cable, a travel pouch, three types of silicon ear tips in different sizes, three pairs of ear hooks in varying sizes, 2 pairs of wind protection covers, and a printed Quick Start Guide.
How long will the BeHear NOW battery last?
- in “hearing mode”: 15+ hours
- for phone use: 10+ hours
- for music play: 8+ hours
- in standby mode: ~600 hours
Note: A full charge takes about 2 hours.
What comes in the HearLink box?
The HearLink box includes the transmitter, a micro-USB cable for charging directly from the television (where supported) or from an electrical wall socket, two audio cables (3.5mm and 2xRCA for convenient connection to various appliances), and technical documentation.
How much hearing amplification gain does BeHear provide?
The maximal gain provided by BeHear NOW is approximately 45dB.
Which operating system does the BeHear smartphone app support?
The BeHear NOW smartphone application supports both Android (from version 4.4 and up) and iOS (from version 9 and up).
Is the BeHear NOW headset waterproof?
No. We are creating a different model for our “Wear & Hear” family called BeHear Active which will suit people with active lifestyles.
Where can I find the full BeHear NOW product specifications?
I’ve changed smartphones. Can I continue to use my personalized BeHear headset or do I need to reset it?
The BeHear NOW headset will continue to operate as a personal hearing amplifier, even without any connection to any smartphone (the parameters are saved in the headset, not in the phone). The smartphone is necessary if you want to run the BeHear NOW control application, but the headset itself includes seven built-in control buttons that allow you to use it autonomously. You can watch this video for specific instructions.
Have you used the W&H BeHear smartphone application to run the hearing test assessment? If so, note that the results are applied to the presets (Indoor, Outdoor, Crowd and Live Music), and are programmed into the headset itself (not the phone).
Still, we recommend downloading and pairing your new smartphone with the headset so that you can get maximum benefit. Watch this video for detailed instructions.
How do I charge the BeHear NOW headset?
What happens if I receive a phone call when listening to music?
Can I set the volume level for each ear separately?
In the Settings screen there is a balance option. You can slide the silver dot right or left to set the desired amplification balance between left and right ears.
This setting is applied to the volume control, in addition to the results of the built-in hearing assessment, and will be active in all operation modes of the headset: phone calls, audio playback and personal hearing amplification.
How do I get the smartphone app for the headset?
Can I use the headset without a smartphone?
Absolutely! You can benefit from the ambient hearing without a smartphone. The smartphone is necessary if you want to run the BeHear NOW control application, but the headset itself includes seven built-in control buttons that allow you to use it autonomously.
You can pair BeHear NOW and use it with any Bluetooth device such as a feature phone, music player, laptop, etc. and use it for hearing enhancement, phone calls or listening to music or other recorded audio.
Can I use the headset without Bluetooth?
Yes. You do not need Bluetooth to benefit from the ambient hearing functionality.
However, without Bluetooth you will not be able to stream audio from your mobile phone or music player directly to the BeHear NOW headset.
How can I keep the headset from slipping off when the ear buds aren’t in?
Can BeHear NOW pair with more than one Bluetooth device?
How do I customize BeHear ?
There are two ways to customize BeHear:
- Using the built-in Hearing Assessment in the smartphone app, which applies the results automatically to the four presets (Indoor, Outdoor, Crowd and Live Music) to match your preferences and capabilities.
- In real-time, using the controls in the Personal Hearing section of the smartphone app to select a preset, fine-tune gain across frequencies, and determine the amount of noise reduction.
How can I improve the intelligibility of speech during a phone call?
How can I check the battery level?
How can I get captions on the tutorial videos?
All W&H BeHear “How to” videos support captions.
To see closed captions from the W&H BeHear app
- Click the three vertical dots in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- Tap “Captions”.
- Tap the desired language:
To see closed captions on your laptop/desktop computer
- Click the Settings icon in the lower right section of the video frame.
- Click “Subtitles/CC” to see the available languages.
- Select the language of your choice.
For whom is BeHear NOW intended?
We developed BeHear NOW to help people hear better in various situations, taking into account individual preferences and the uniqueness of each person’s auditory system. Hearing loss is an example of “uniqueness” that can be addressed by BeHear NOW, and compensated to some extent depending on the listening/hearing conditions.
BeHear NOW was designed to help people with mild-to-moderate hearing loss, who may not need amplification in every hearing situation. It can help clarify dialogue, enhance music appreciation, and improve intelligibility of phone conversations.
Is BeHear NOW a hearing aid?
While BeHear NOW uses the same digital signal processing algorithms as most advanced hearing aids, BeHear NOW is not a hearing aid (nor is it a medical device).
Can BeHear NOW restore hearing?
While the advanced algorithms used in BeHear NOW can improve the hearing/listening experience, they cannot restore hearing completely.
How do I know BeHear ear buds will fit me?
BeHear NOW is supplied with numerous sets of silicon ear tips and ear hooks in different sizes and styles. We trust that you will be able to find the right combination for your ears.
I wear glasses. Can I wear the headset at the same time?
Absolutely! The earbuds are “in ear”, with nothing resting on the back of your ear (where your glasses sit).
Is there a product warranty?
Yes, we offer a limited 1-year product warranty against manufacturing defects.
Prototype Testing Opportunities
In the meantime, you are invited to view and try out our prototypes at the industry events we are sponsoring. Click here to see our list of upcoming events.
For more information about our assistive hearing products, please complete the form below.
Where to Buy BeHear®
The BeHear headphones are currently undergoing beta testing and are scheduled for release shortly. To pre-order this product, join our mailing list and we will send you updates regarding the product availability.
Follow Us on Twitter
CES is the world's gathering place for all who thrive on the business of consumer technologies. It has served as the proving ground for innovators and breakthrough technologies for 50 years — the global stage where next-generation innovations are introduced to the marketplace. Alango technologies, such as ListenThrough™ and EasyListen™, as well as Wear & Hear personal hearing products, will be on hand for demonstration purposes. Las Vegas, NV, USA - January 8-11, 2019 - Booth #43049 in Sands (Digital Health)
AAA 2019, the American Academy of Audiology's annual conference and exposition, is the world's largest gathering of audiologists. This annual meeting provides participants the opportunity to attend four days of educational sessions, explore the latest in hearing technology, and network with colleagues from around the world. Columbus, Ohio, USA - March 27-30, 2019 - Booth 1719